Xiaoma Cidian Forum - 小马词典论坛
December 11, 2017, 05:56:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Xiaoma Cidian 小马词典 just moved officially!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What does "CL" stand for?  (Read 7908 times)
lexis nekres
« on: July 04, 2010, 01:27:41 PM »

Hello!

If I look up the English word “kitchen”, I get this, for example:

厨房   chú fáng   kitchen; CL:间

I reckon that “CL:间” is the “liang ci” or “measure word” for this noun, but what does CL stand for? I looked for an explanation but couldn’t find any. If this is a new feature -and in that case it’s a very welcome one for learners-, maybe you should “advertise” about it a bit more. Just an idea!

Apart from that, the new look is very good. I like the new link to the Wiktionary. So your continuing efforts and improvements are very much appreciated! Thanks a lot.
xiaomadmin
Admin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 06:48:18 AM »

Hi there,

Thanks for your comments! CL stands for 'classifier'. This is not really a new 'feature', but a nice addition from the guys working on the CC-CEDICT, the open project Chinese-English dictionary which Xiaoma Cidian is based on.

Here is the explanation from the CC-CEDICT documentation:
Quote from: CC-CEDICT

Classifiers (also called “Measure words”) can be listed using the following syntax:
避風港 避风港 [bi4 feng1 gang3] /haven/refuge/harbor/CL: 座[zuo4],個|个[ge4]/

Classifiers follow the 'reference' syntax, are prefixed by 'CL:' and separated by a comma (no additional spacing).

The classifier words itself can be described using:
/classifier for small round things (peas, bullets, peanuts, pills, grains etc)/

Btw, some more features upcoming this week to Xiaoma -- stay tuned Wink
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 07:29:08 AM by xiaomadmin » Logged

Xiaoma admin
lexis nekres
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 03:01:47 PM »

Hi,
Silly me! I should have guessed it was "classifier". Anyway it's a very useful thing for learners. I remember it took me ages to find out how to say "1 TV set" and so on. Thanks for the reply.
I'll keep an eye open for those upcoming new features!
Cheers!
ZineKexy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 11:00:44 AM »

I think it would help too... The difference between this site and a lot of other sites with for sale stuff... is there is not that much stuff for sale on here. Its a good idea though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: