Xiaoma Cidian Forum - 小马词典论坛
December 11, 2017, 05:57:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Xiaoma Cidian 小马词典 just moved officially!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: word ratings  (Read 3953 times)
卡梅尔Carmel

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2011, 03:55:25 PM »

I'm sure this wouldn't be easy, but is there a way of rating words to indicate how commonly they are used? When I look up a word and have many to choose from that have exactly the same meaning. I often end up choosing a very old word that is not used much any more, or one that is too formal, for writing only, for talking only.
I have been marking a lot of English written by Mandarin speakers on Lang-8.com and they have the same problem. They often use very obscure words.

Still love Xiaoma. It's the first web site I open every day, and I use it all the time. Please never go away :-)
xiaomadmin
Admin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 12:55:31 AM »

There is already a word rating in place; however the current data is probably based on classic literature books, and articles that are more than 10 years old, with many references to politics and scientific terminology. This data would have to be updated for the modern language usage (which evolves rapidly), for instance based on Google search (e.g. number of occurences found for each word). I will try to update the data accordingly, but please be patient...

Xiaoma admin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: